View Poll Results: Is a tutorial stuff a good idea...

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.. We require tutorial stuffs here..

14 51.85%
  • No it is a complete bad idea

5 18.52%
  • I dont care

8 29.63%

Thread: You learning future is here...

You learning future is here...

Read the thread http://www.cprogramming.com/cboard/s...threadid=34769

and please vote if you agree with the idea and would prefer a tutorial section-board( dynamic tutorial) here on our fav forum.....

Can't do any harm can it?

Who's going to write this ambitious section?

i dont think we need a board for it. This is just imo, but people know the section is there and others already write for it. The faq is un-used because people are lazy honestly, it seems like way too much effort when you could just submit tutorials like we do.

Maybe, But the tutorials on the main index are just tutorials...and
    nothing more. With a board you could add comment, Post
    problems with it, Adjust things, It's just far more fun. Ofcouse
    We can't get this off the ground with support from the people.

Originally posted by Travis Dane
    Maybe, But the tutorials on the main index are just tutorials...and
    nothing more. With a board you could add comment, Post
    problems with it, Adjust things, It's just far more fun. Ofcouse
    We can't get this off the ground with support from the people.
    Personally, I think this will be difficult to control and keep sane.

To start with, lets say someone posts a tutorial, how do we know their competent enough, have more than half a brain, and have been coding for more than 3 days? OK, thats a bit extreme, but I've seen many examples where well meaning newbies who think they're better than they really are, create tutorials that only serve to confuse rather than educate.

The next that that will happen on a forum, is a bunch of more experienced people flooding in to provide corrections and show alternative ways of doing things. The thread then becomes a conversation, and you loose the sense of it being a "tutorial". Any newbie trying to learn from it will probably be put off by different posters arguing/chattering, and will end up looking elsewhere for the answer to their question.

This might seem a bit negative, I know, I just don't think we'd really benefit from having an open board dedicated in this manner. Besides, there are enough programming boards here, if you want to write a tutorial on one, go do it!

I prefer the off-board web pages, where the content can be verified and corrected if necessary before being posted, leaving the forums for open discussion of smaller topics.

(Disclaimer: This is my opinion as a forum user, not as a forum moderator)
    When all else fails, read the instructions.
    If you're posting code, use code tags: [code] /* insert code here */ [/code]

Well said, so im not the only one who thinks this is not needed.

Well nothing is really needed if you think about it. We don't need a General Discussion board, but there is one. Just like this site doesn't need tutorials, but it has some. I think that a board of tutorials would be good and could range from Beginner to Intermediate to Advanced. It obviousely would not just fill up real fast, but given time tutorials will likely build up then all of a sudden this site would probably have more quality learning material. Then any tutorial which got low votes could be removed, and anything that people liked could stay.

I disagree. We have a board full of information, talented staff and members, a awsome new faq, and a tutorials section thats going to be bigger then most think soon, trust me, i know.

Another board is just one more database hogging thing for mods to pick through that wont get used as much as it will be maintained. If u want more tutorials submit em to hammers faq, this would be a awsome idea if we needed it , but i dont see the need.

remember that guy who got flamed really bad after he asked for comments for his C tuts on his site and he was using void main and the code was scattered all over the page, all up really bad.

I think tutorials can be usefull, but I don't see a need for a board for it. People can read such tutorials and if they have questions, they can ask at the available boards. I also wonder if most people would really visit the tutorials, most of the beginners, those are the largest part of the people asking questions, just want quick answers on their questions. They usually don't want to read whole tutorials, they should, but they don't want to.

Also their questions are usually often very specific, they have a program and have problems with that, or they have to deal with other specific things. Most of such questions can't be answered with tutorials. A tutorial on binary trees is usefull, but it does not always help people who have coded a binary tree and get errrors with it. Then they need someone to explain what they are doing wrong.

[edit]
    I will vote "don't care". The reason for this is that I think tutorials itself can be usefull, but I don't think we need a board for it.
    [/edit]

Ok.. i see that more people want it rather than "Dont want it".. it is now up to the Mod's, web master and other guys to decide....

Its hard to say that more want it than not. Its only been open for a few days, and its not even to a second page yet(unless this post makes it). Notice that most of the veterans arent really into this idea, where some of the newer people are, shouldnt that tell you something?

I'm just saying i wouldnt throw too much hope into this idea. I'm all for making cprog better, but this wont.

Originally posted by RoD
    but this wont.
    Explain...

I already have, as have several others. Read our posts and arguments.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed