Thread: I need YOUR help!!!

Former Member

I need YOUR help!!!

Hello, Some of you might already know, some of you may not. I'm working on a project, it's called "aurora". It consists on building a static library for use with Microsoft Visual C++ 6 powered by DirectX, that's where YOU come in! I can't do it by myself, no one can do a project like that on his/her own, not even you. so I need your help with the project. I need one person, no more. he/she must be very fluent in C++ and interested in file storage for windows, this must include great interest for fast and reliable encryption and compression algorithms.

if you want more information about this project, you can go to
    http://eqquinox.com/usuarios/oskilian/aurora

I'm offring you the possibility of working with a serious group of people where you actually make the difference because it's a 5 people project! You can learn a lot with the support of the other members of the team, because, if you want to learn more on your own (like I was until I came up with the idea of doing it with the help of some special people), it's possible that you will take more time on it and there are going to be a lot of questions you must keep to yourself.

I'm sure this is going to be an unforgettable experience for you, and when we finish it, there is a wide range of larger projects we can work on using the library, such as games, 3D demos or 3D presentations.

At least check the site out and tell me what you think about the project, it won't take up much time and I'm sure you will at least consider it.

Thank you very much for your attention

Oskilian

the Corvetter
    I would love to work with you. Though, I might not meet the requirements. I am a C programmer, not really C++. I do do Windows programming and I have a cryptographic mind No, seriously, I can come up with some bitshifting uncrackable algorithms.

>> I'm sure this is going to be an unforgettable experience for you, and when we finish it, there is a wide range of larger projects we can work on using the library, such as games, 3D demos or 3D presentations. <<

This would be a great experience project!!! I would be interested, if you want me too. Like I said, I'm fluent in C, not the ++.

--Garfield
    1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette

Don't cross post.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity unto the dream.

Former Member
    Why did my two other threads got deleted and this one moved?

I bet you didnīt even read them three, they had the same structure, but they wew DIFFERENT!

I posted three messages: one in C++ programming requesting someone who knows about memory operations. Another one in Game programming requesting for TWO people, one who was interested in DirectDraw and Direct3D and the other one in DirectSound. And the last thread (this one), was posted in Windows Programming requesting for someone who was interested in file management.

I didnīt do anything wrong! there are some people who only browse the boards theyīre interested in, and I wanted to reach them, I couldnīt have done it all in the same forum!!!!

I would like that the moderator who moved this thread and erased the other two would tell me why did he erase it!

Garfield: as for the c++, it doesnīt matter too much in this one, do you know how to do classes?
    Iīm looking foreward to contact you again, and thanks for your support.

Oskilian

Why did my two other threads got deleted and this one moved?
    I had a look at the deleted posts you mentioned... They seem to be the same as this one but asking for different types of people. Why not simply post a list of all the people you need. That way whoever sees your post can quickly determine if they are suitable to your project?

I would guess this post was moved because this is the board it belongs on.

It wasn't me that deleted them so i dont know for sure... I'm sure no harm was meant tho. We're just supposed to keep everything not specifically relating to code (be it C/C++/Win/DOS/etc), off the other boards. Your posts can be restored but since they belong here on this board anyhow, i would think it wiser to just edit your post to reflect all of the information...

Let me know if i can help you with anything else... PM me if you want.
    "There's always another way"
    -lightatdawn (lightatdawn.cprogramming.com)

Former Member
    >reflect all of the information
    what information?

>Why not simply post a list of all the people you need
    I can't reach all the people I need by posting in GD, not everyone visits GD! (specially the ones I need)

As I told you before, people don't visit the whole board, for example, I've never gone to the linux programming forum nor to the C# programming, the different forums are for different tastes, and I first tried posting something like this in here (more indirectly), but if I want to reach a lot of people who know C++, I should go to the C++ forum, or if I want to reach lots of people who have interest on games, I'll go to game programming. But what happens if I need them both? I can't post at the General discussions forum since not everyone visits it, I can't post in the Game programming forum because C++ people who don't enjoy games but could like to help me wouldn't see the thread, same for posting at the C++ forum, so I have to post one at each place, I'm NOT posting stuff which doesn't concern the forum I posted in! so it doesn't break the board rules!

I'm sorry I thought you erased my threads, but I would like to discuss this whith the one who did!

the threads might seem similar because I copied and pasted all the common information, but I changed what's important, and THAT's what counts to make a post belong in a certain thread.

Oskilian

I'm sorry I thought you erased my threads
    Me? What gave you that idea? Not very many posts get deleted around here. I personally only ever delete stuff thats unarguable garbage.

Generally we delete stuff not directly a question about the boards topic. Its kind of hard to make specific rules for something thats not very specific.

I'm not going to say who it was but i'll ask them about it. I see your point here.
    "There's always another way"
    -lightatdawn (lightatdawn.cprogramming.com)

Former Member
    why did I think that you erased it? you were the first one who posted about it (and I didn't even know whether you were a mod or not)! and the worst thing is that I feared it from the beggining.

Thank you for trying to help me out here. I really appreciate it.

Oskilian

Former Member
    ooh sorry, I just saw that the first one to post about it was adrianxw, not you. sorry!

Oskilian

the Corvetter
    >> Garfield: as for the c++, it doesnīt matter too much in this one, do you know how to do classes? <<

Yes, I do know classes. I am pretty darned familiar with OOP. I am the man for you What do you say? I'm really interested!

--Garfield

Former Member
    I'm very glad to hear that Garfield. I will update the website as soon as it becomes available for me , but I actually wanted YOU to be the man, but I thought you wouldn't be interested. So thank you very much! I'll contact you for more details. BTW, do you have MSN? (to communicate faster)

Oskilian

the Corvetter
    Thanks, oskilian, I appreciate it! I am more than willing to help you with your project. It will be a great experience and...most importantly...fun!!!

>> BTW, do you have MSN? <<
    No, sorry. I don't have any of that instant messaging. I only have one phone line on a 56k modem, so I can't be online long and hold up the phone line. Can we do this through e-mail?

--Garfield

Former Member
    sure!, email it is then.

I was looking at tera-byte.com and they're having a special offer until Dec 24, I think I'll use it. but I'll first have to consult my financial advisor and ask him what he thinks.

Oskilian

>>> I'm not going to say who it was but i'll ask them about it.

(He did by the way!) In general though, I stand by all of my moderating decisions, and would never object to being "named"!!! If I'm wrong, so be it, it can be undone - I don't have a problem with that.

So...

It was me, not lightatdawn who moved this thread here. As he said though, this is the right place for it. The one on the games board is still there! I didn't notice it, I rarely look on that board.

I would make the following points.

Firstly, the posts concerned were not strictly speaking, questions about the topic of the board, they were general, and hence, I believe they should be here.

Secondly, changing two or three words in an otherwise long message does not really make them obviously different. Consider Osk, I have, in my own time, to look at dozens of messages I have absolutely no interest in, to make sure they follow the rules, and hence make the board a pleasant place for others.

Thirdly, those of you who have been around for a while will remember the rash of spamming with job offers and requests for help that went around earlier this year, the boards became full of it, and we started to summarily delete anything that was in that vein. It was only because it was you, a respected member, that I moved, rather than deleted it!!!

>>> Its kind of hard to make specific rules for something thats not very specific

Specifically non specific - I like it!

Remember, when we "delete" a message, we actually don't! We move it to an archive so that if the deleteion should not have happened, we can put it back. Your message I "deleted" is still there in fact. I will ask on the moderators board what the others think, and maybe we can try to work out a "specific non specific" policy.

Finally, I still believe I did the right thing, but lets see!!
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity unto the dream.

Former Member
    OK, I get the idea, I just want to know if I have permission to post them again.

Oskilian

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed