Thread: D programming language

D programming language

Hi guys

Have you all heard of the D programming language, if not
    here is the link and would like to know what u all think about it

http://www.digitalmars.com/d/intro.html
    Last edited by whistlenm1; 01-19-2002 at 08:11 PM.

erm hi,

if it was a greeting u were posting, post to GD - that way you wont be defrocked by the mods and their sticks.

as in your post title - D langugae
    there is no D language -
    C was the language that followed the B language
    the B language was so-named because it was developed at Bell labs.

note: the message above was posted when the original message read only " Hi guys"
    Last edited by iain; 01-19-2002 at 08:29 PM.
    Monday - what a way to spend a seventh of your life

oh trust me, their is a D programming language

I believe Iain is trying to kindly point out your post is off-topic. Regardless of the existence of a 'D' programming language, this is the C programming forum.

Cheers,
    Jason Deckard

I get that you don't like people posting non C topics. but D is just as much a C topic as C# or B or eC. There's no reason to reject this kind of post.
    and in response to the post...
    its a nice language, but theres no reason to choose it over c++ (or similar). if i wanted to do some of the things that D tries to do, i wouldn't choose a C-style language at all. i would use some fruity language like java. what i mean is. D tries to do things that C++ programmers don't care about doing in the first place. if it ain't broke, don't rename it and add useless alternative libraries.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by timmmay View Post
    I get that you don't like people posting non C topics. but D is just as much a C topic as C# or B or eC. There's no reason to reject this kind of post.
    and in response to the post...
    its a nice language, but theres no reason to choose it over c++ (or similar). if i wanted to do some of the things that D tries to do, i wouldn't choose a C-style language at all. i would use some fruity language like java. what i mean is. D tries to do things that C++ programmers don't care about doing in the first place. if it ain't broke, don't rename it and add useless alternative libraries.
    You do realize that you've dredged up a 9 year old thread for this....

I recently spent a couple of weeks investigating and trying to learn D... It's easy enough to get your head around, however the support mechanism is horridly flawed. Libraries that should be simple were turned over to open-source meddling. They are now deeply flawed compilations of stuff nobody will ever use and most won't even compile on Windows. Moreover it cannot import or link with the Microsoft SDK's headers and libraries, making any windows programming a minefield of broken translations and uncompilable headers. The author had all the right ideas but went about it in every wrong way imaginable...

It's a dead niche language, and for good reasons.

Best, I think, we should let this 9 year old sleeping dog alone.
    Last edited by CommonTater; 02-27-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Has it really been that long since the last person who discovered D started a thread on here?

Yer it's old news. Did you know that Code::Blocks has a D plugin for dealing with D source code too?
    My homepage
    Advice: Take only as directed - If symptoms persist, please see your debugger

Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by iMalc View Post
    Has it really been that long since the last person who discovered D started a thread on here?

Yer it's old news. Did you know that Code::Blocks has a D plugin for dealing with D source code too?
    Yep... had D running in code blocks sufficient to write a couple of console programs.

Nice language -- native strings !Yeah! -- but the libraries were a complete mess.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed