Thread: Why C !

Why C !

I still wonder Why to use C while we have the c++ that can make all that the C do?

Man

Thumbs up Because....

There're a lot of veteran programmers with expertise in C who
    don't like things to chance.

Although almost the same, C is faster than C++

C++ makes coding a little bit easy..
    Also remember that C++ was designed in C.

http://mahurshi.tripod.com/mainframes.htm

>I still wonder Why to use C while we have the c++ that can make all that the C do?
    Because we like to see everyone speculate wildly.

-Prelude
    My best code is written with the delete key.

Because the code is cleaner.

Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

i just started programming in c because c++ is afaik based on c.
    after i can program in c i will try to program a little bit in c++...

C++ is more complex and allows beginners to really get themselves into trouble

C is also more compatible with many simple operating systems that do not have a C++ compiler (like embedded devices).

Other than that it becomes a religious war...

C better than C++

i prefer C rather than C++, i found out that C++ is not easy to learn... C have a lot of codes that need to know, i guess it's quite fun on C

Talking

C images (executables) are smaller than C++ (bloatware).
    C executes with less instructions and therefore executes faster for those interested in realtime applications on OS's such as VxWorks.

For those who are interested in interfacing with devices and hardware, I don't want to talk out of my butt, but I suspect there are more C api's out there than C++ api's.

Thumbs up

David21078 -- yeah you're right.

i have explored there's a lot of code and library in C! so, it's quite a long day to discover a lot of syntax

Because I got 4.0's in all my C classes and a 3.1 in my C++ class

Stick to what you know

Aside from all the above comments, it's the most beautiful language on earth.

Unleashed
    > C Board > C Programming > Why C !
    You're going to get a one way vote.
    The world is waiting. I must leave you now.

Cool one more thing

C++ was an attempt to make C what Ada is.

but, Bjarne S. couldn't quite get there alone.

There is so much beauty in the language design of Ada, if C++ went through the development process Ada did, the product would have been much better.

Ada still rules!

but, I feel more comfortable with C and even C++.

I agree with David21078. Ada is still one of the best language on the earth. It's so easy to learn
    and a powerful language, especially for embedded software. It's strong modulization and data type checking. But most schools today seem not teaching this language any more. Since software is getting
    larger and larger, hence schools tend to teach
    OOD languages (C++, JAVA) to fit with OO software
    modeling design in order to solve problem domain more easier. (view things as objects for problem domain). Any way, C is still dominant out there because of Denis Richie(UNIX creator)'s influence and its maturity.
    DV007

The Unix-variants are still the most popular OS'es of programmers and C is the language of Unix. I think that plays a big role. Also C is a quite low-level and very fast language.

C++ had its roots in C, it was meant to be a superset of C which made it easier to handle with object oriented techniques.

Currently in embedded systems C++ and Java are used a lot, there still is a lot done in C. But since the capabilities of devices are growing, things like speed and memory are going to the background. Just take a look at smartcards or mobile phones, a lot of electronics is equipped with a small Java virtual machine. Which is has some great advantages. A lot of attention is going to aspects like maintainability and flexibility. This is why object orientation is getting very popular. And therefore the so called object oriented languages are very popular.

Personally I prefer Pascal above C. It is a nicer language to read and, when using a good compiler, it can meet C when it comes to speed, efficiency and size.

At work we mainly use C, C++ and Java for our devices.

i just started programming in c because c++ is afaik based on c.
    I often hear/read this. In my opinion it is something strange. It is like learning Anglo-Frisian before English, because English is based on Anglo-Frisian. Note that C++ is a very different language then C, it has its own language elements and programming concepts. So I often wonder, why not learn C++?

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed