Thread: Is C still relevant....

Question Is C still relevant....

At the risk of incurring the wrath of all you died in the wool C programmers I wonder if C is still a relevant language to learn...

I started in IT 5 years ago and ot into it by doing a correspondence course in C and C++....

After a few months in my first job the course was put on the back burner as I bacame a big blue convert and got into As400's...

I recentlt began to look for ways of broadening my skills and decided to try programming and dug out the old C stuff again,.,.

but with C++ and now C# I wonder if I am not wasting my time learning C....?

What do you guys reckon...?????

It depends on what you want to do. C has been used in so many applications, it will probably be decades before it goes away, if ever. I know Fortran and COBOL programmers who are still gainfully employed.

>What do you guys reckon...?????
    C is still worth learning and mastering, if only because employers often ask programming questions in C for interviews.

-Prelude
    My best code is written with the delete key.

Everything is constructed in C. Your operating system, the .net framework, other frameworks, VB, C#, etc. They were all written in C or C++.

Assembler is still relevant !
    Dive into those C/C++ books, and learn learn learn.

Re: Is C still relevant....

Originally posted by craigbalsillie
    At the risk of incurring the wrath of all you died in the wool C programmers I wonder if C is still a relevant language to learn...

I started in IT 5 years ago and ot into it by doing a correspondence course in C and C++....

After a few months in my first job the course was put on the back burner as I bacame a big blue convert and got into As400's...

I recentlt began to look for ways of broadening my skills and decided to try programming and dug out the old C stuff again,.,.

but with C++ and now C# I wonder if I am not wasting my time learning C....?

What do you guys reckon...?????
    Don't let your insight into computers be solely based on vendor advertising.

Re: Re: Is C still relevant....

Originally posted by Troll_King

Don't let your insight into computers be solely based on vendor advertising.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

imho, there's nothing c has over c++. c++ has better syntax, more flexibility, object-oriented structure, and backwards compatability.

c is used mostly in places like linux source code, where speed and size are important factors. many people still program it out of habit, because it can do much the same thing c++ can, without some complexity and overhead.

The biggest thing that C has over C++ is that while C will let you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ will let you cut your leg off and bleed to death.

C++ is a conglomerate of features built on top of C. If you really want some true object oriented programming, it's best to use a language that was designed to be OO from the ground up.

As far as the syntax goes, I learned C, and so I find C++ io to be yucky yucky yucky. I always manage to catch some flack for including stdlib for printf and scanf when I should be doing something in C++.

Also, C is to modern programming languages what Latin is to romance languages. If you learn C, I doubt very much you'll be taken off guard by anything that is both new and mainstream.

To conclude, windows is (or at least was) written in C++, Linux in C. I don't think I need to say anything more.

starX
    www.axisoftime.com

Both Windows and Linux are written in plain C.

High level programming languages are all so similar (at least logically speaking), so the benefits of knowing one language thoroughly will spill over.

The best reason to learn C is that most modern languages were based on it either directly, or indirectly through another language that itself was based on C (ie Java -> C++ -> C).

Sir Mister Insane Sako Klinerr1's Avatar
    its good to know some small coding in C but get into c++ it c and more. but knwoing a little c wont hurt you. just dont go hardcore into it.
    Email: [email protected] || AIM: MisterSako || MSN: [email protected]

-the shroom has spoken

&TH of undefined behavior Fordy's Avatar
    Originally posted by starX
    The biggest thing that C has over C++ is that while C will let you shoot yourself in the foot, C++ will let you cut your leg off and bleed to death.
    I've seen that quote so many damn times...it was a joke goddammit!!! Your not supposed to let stuff like that guide you.....

Jeez....

its good to know some small coding in C but get into c++ it c and more. but knwoing a little c wont hurt you. just dont go hardcore into it.
    Will you stop
    1: acting like you know anything at all
    2: giving advice on subjects you are totally ignorant of
    3: learn to type
    ??
    Turn no more aside and brood
    Upon love's bitter mysteries
    For Fergus rules the brazen cars...

Originally posted by icarus

Will you stop
    1: acting like you know anything at all
    2: giving advice on subjects you are totally ignorant of
    3: learn to type
    ??
    This post just amuses the hell out of me.

Quzah.
    Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed