Thread: SpaceWars - My first game

Cool SpaceWars - My first game

Well, I've finally finished my first game project, using Allegro. Try it out, and tell me what you think!

screenshots / download at:

http://bieh.tripod.com/

or go here to download directly:

http://bieh.tripod.com/SpaceWars.zip

EDIT: OK, looks like you can't link directly to files on tripod
    Just go to the top link to get the game

/sits back and waits...

All I have to say is HOLY FREAKING ****! That is awesome! Oh man, just the menu itself reminds me of REAL games. Job well done, its great!

wow. beautiful.
    Naturally I didn't feel inspired enough to read all the links for you, since I already slaved away for long hours under a blistering sun pressing the search button after typing four whole words! - Quzah

You. Fetch me my copy of the Wall Street Journal. You two, fight to the death - Stewie

Pretty nice looking Havent downloaded it yet but I will later. Congrats on finishing a game. You should look at the contest board and enter the card game contest now that you have experience under your belt.
    "only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former." - albert einstein

Very nice Very entertaining to play... actually, I think once I'm done learning DirectDraw (I still have a really really annoying bug!!!), I'll try making a continuum-clone just like yours probably be pretty fun making it too.

BTW, I disagree with the thing about the menu being pro... it's kinda annoying that clickin on "options" does pretty much nothing. Well, other than that it's pretty good though Keep it up!
    Just Google It. √

(\ /)
    ( . .)
    c(")(") This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Cool

Thanks, everyone

it's nice to know I havnt been wasting my time learning Allegro

@ Hunter2: Yeah, there's nothing under options yet. The menu is relititivly (sp?) new, so its got some flaws. I'm gonna put in something to set screen res, and all the other stuff that you currently have to change in config.cfg.

I think I should add splitscreen multiplayer play too, what do you guys think?
    "It always takes longer than you think, even when you take Hofstadter's Law into account."
    -Hofstadter's Law

Bored? Try my game SpaceWars , made in Allegro and VC++
    or see my new game Redoubt , made in OpenGL and VC++

Looks good, when is it comming out on Gamecube?

Talking 1.01

OK, I just upped a new version, 1.01.
    It fixes a couple of bugs, tweaks the help display, and adds an options menu.
    "It always takes longer than you think, even when you take Hofstadter's Law into account."
    -Hofstadter's Law

Bieh! You've got to tell me! WHAT BOOK DID YOU READ ON DirectX before you made this game?!!?

Thankyou...

Registered User Spleeneraclingy's Avatar

Allegro

*bounces here*
    He said he uses Allegro.
    *bounces away*
    "Life's short and hard, like a bodybuilding elf."

he did it in allegro.

this is an AWESOME first game, btw.. i rather enjoyed playing it.

ah, i saw the allgero dll's. I thought the game was really fun (but for like 5 minutes).

WHAT BOOK DID YOU READ ON DirectX before you made this game?!!?
    I didn't. The Allegro docs / forum were about all I used.

I just got my hands on 'Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus' by Andre LaMothe, though, and that looks pretty good (though I havn't done more than skim the first chapter, I wanted to get SW out first ).

Some of the sounds / graphics in SpaceWars were from Tricks, which is why it's mentioned in the credits (though probably noone bothers to read them )
    -Hofstadter's Law

which is why it's mentioned in the credits (though probably noone bothers to read them )
    Actually, I did read it 'cept you might have mentioned somewhere that you can 'hit any key to continue' before the end of the credits...

Oh yeah, another suggestion... could you shorten the intro stuff about it being a james huffy production (or whatever it was ), or make it so you can hit a button to skip it? It's kinda annoying. (p.s. if you already can skip it, ignore what I just said )
    Just Google It. √

(\ /)
    ( . .)
    c(")(") This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Smile

Originally posted by Hunter2
    Oh yeah, another suggestion... could you shorten the intro stuff about it being a james huffy production (or whatever it was ), or make it so you can hit a button to skip it? It's kinda annoying.
    It seems to be a problem with Allegros fade in/out code - you can't do anything while its fading. Hold down Enter, and it will take you directly to the menu when its finished fading in/out the current text.

When I get around to it, I'll make a thing in the config file so you can turn the intro on/off.
    -Hofstadter's Law

Popular pages Recent additions subscribe to a feed